6 Self-Care Activities for Your Next Staycation
As your timeline begins to fill with summer vacations of your friends traveling around the world. Don't overlook the possibility of your very own staycation with a focus on only you, self-care, and doing things that bring you joy! Since my boyfriend was spending the weekend with his family I made a last minute decision to stay one night in Old Town Alexandria, VA. Getting there didn't go as planned and I felt that most of my day was gone before I even got to my room BUT I am thankful I've learned to not let those things spoil the whole day. So what did I do? I stuck to things that would make me happy and left room for adventure.
- Aromatherapy - I can't afford a spa but I can afford the travel size body scrub and cream and a massage oil. So on my way, I decided to pick up a few things from the Body Shop in Union Station. Lately, I have been in love with the lemongrass scent. I felt so calm after my shower and I smelled amazing!
- Small Coffee Shop - The atmosphere of a small coffee shop is right up there for me with that of a bookstore. I feel calm, relaxed, and at home. I like to order a mug to continue that at home experience. I had a backpack full of books and tried to remember to breathe.
- Be Still - During my exploring I walked around this area where there is a huge water foundation and I walked through a path. I sat down on a bench and closed my eyes for about a minute. I felt so many emotions. I was surrounded by American flags and I held back tears. (Being an "other" in America right now just feels like a weight and I had to let myself embrace this truth.) I felt it, I inhaled, and I kept it moving.
- Favorite Store - It's really all about atmospheres for me. I went to the Paper Source. Surrounded by notebooks, stamps, all things paper. I didn't need to make a huge purchase but just exploring gave me some positive creativity vibes.
- Do Something New - I'm an introvert but I thrive in smaller settings. On this trip, I decided instead of using the mini-bar I would get my complimentary drink from the actual hotel bar. This is out of my comfort zone but the payoff was huge. I meet a great woman who was there for work by herself and we ended up hanging out after. This is not something I would normally do but it was so much fun. Yes, I was here for my "me" time but I'm including this because I believe it's important to not stick to the game plan so hard you miss an opportunity to do something new.
- Meditation & Yoga - I woke up the morning of check-out and rolled out the yoga mat that came in my room. I did a short meditation video (Check out BlackGirlCalm) and a yoga routine thanks to youtube. I took a shower with all my new smell goods and took my time enjoying my room before I had to check-out.
I left feeling "awakened" and so proud of myself. I didn't come and read or write like I thought I would but I didn't beat myself up about it. I enjoyed my time and most importantly I made time for myself. Need more mental wellness tips? Check out 10 tips here.